This new Wild Coast V5 Mbashe Tour will start in Coffee Bay and end in Morgan Bay.
We will be spending 2 to 3 nights at most of the overnight stops, allowing for a leisurely pace, with opt-out options for the ladies at some of the venues – like spa treatments, or just a decadently lazy day on the beach.
- Monday – 16th May: Meet & Greet in Coffee Bay. Overnight at Ocean View Hotel
- Tuesday – 17th May: Hole in the Wall, Mapuzi, Whale Hill, lunch at White Clay Restaurant. Overnight at Ocean View Hotel
- Wednesday – 18th May: Mgxotyeni Forest 4×4 route. Overnight at Ocean View Hotel.
- Thursday – 19 May: Mtata River Pass & Mdumbi beach. Overnight at Ocean View Hotel.
- Friday – 20 May: Coffee Bay to The Haven. Overnight at The Haven.
- Saturday – 21 May: Explore Dwesa-Cwebe Nature Reserve & Breezy Point. Overnight at The Haven.
- Sunday – 22 May: The Haven to Kob Inn. Overnight at Kob Inn.
- Monday – 23 May: Rest Day at Kob Inn. Overnight at Kob Inn.
- Tuesday – 24 May: Kob Inn to Collywobbles, return. Overnight at Kob Inn.
- Wednesday – 25 May: Kob Inn to Morgan Bay via Kei Mouth ferry. Overnight at Morgan Bay Hotel.
- Thursday – 26 May: Depart for home after breakfast
***Payment is per vehicle, and not per person – making this tour is ideal for families, a group of friends, and couples.
- Distance: 800 km
- Drivers’ Briefing, VHF Radio Fitment & Welcoming Party: 18h00 | Monday – 16 May 2022 | Ocean View Hotel, Coffee Bay
- Start: Coffee Bay | 09h00 | Tuesday – 17 May 2022
- Closing Function & Prizegiving: 18h00 | Wednesday – 25 May 2022
- End of Tour/Departure: 09h00 | Thursday – 26 May 2022
All vehicles will be supplied with FM marine-quality two-way radios so we can all communicate. (This is included in the tour price.)
The routes we have chosen are generally not difficult, but if there is rainy weather, we will have mud to contend with – hence the 4×4 requirement. (Please note that no pets are allowed.)
- If you want to do both the Wild Coast V4 Pondoland Tour (6th to 15th May) alongside the Wild Coast V5 Mbashe Tour — making it a back-to-back journey of 19 days — please book separately for that tour.
- You will then qualify for a R1000 rebate on the total package, which we will credit on your accommodation invoice.
SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE DETAILS
Meet & Greet: Monday – 16 May
- Ocean View Hotel, Coffee Bay. Includes radio fitment, tyre deflation, drivers briefing, and dinner.
Day 1: Tuesday – 17 May
- After breakfast in the Wild Coast sunshine on the deck overlooking the beach, we will meet our local guide, Mzo, who will take us to Mapuzi, Whale Hill, and Hole in the Wall. We will learn about Xhosa culture, customs, folklore, and legends.
- Lunch will be taken at the beautifully sited White Clay Restaurant.
- The rest of the afternoon is free time.
- Dinner and overnight accommodation: Ocean View Hotel.
Day 2: Wednesday – 18 May
- Most of the day will be utilized to complete the 4×4 route through the beautiful Mgxotyeni Forest north of Hole in the Wall.
- This is a Grade 2 to 3 route and if it’s been raining there will be mud – and that means some slippin’ & slidin’! The circuit should take about 4 hours depending on stoppages and recoveries.
Day 3: Thursday – 19 May
- After the previous day’s excitement, we head northwest over the Mtata River Pass, and then down to the coast to iconic Mdumbi, which is one of the finest beaches along the Wild Coast. (Pack your cozzie and towels!)
- We will have lunch there, returning the same way back to Coffee Bay in the afternoon. This is an easy, relaxing day.
Day 4: Friday – 20 May
- We head southwest from Coffee Bay to The Haven.
- This day’s drive covers some big passes – all in the form of river ravines and include Mncwasa, Kwa Majia, Xhora, Ntlonyane, and Mbashe rivers.
- Overnight at The Haven – which was where the survivors of the Oceanos cruise ship were airlifted to. Service levels and good food are legendary at this old hotel!
Day 5: Saturday – 21 May
- An exciting day lies ahead as we complete a traverse of the Dwesa Cwebe Nature Reserve. This is as close to what you will get to a proper ‘jungle adventure’ as we plunge through a very dense forest filled with birdsong and dramatic shafts of sunlight.
- The drive is slow as we gradually work our way over from west to east, through and around a myriad of challenging obstacles. This is a Grade 3 level route.
- We visit the pristine beach at Breezy Point for lunch, then head north to Tunzini through several traditional Wild Coast villages, then head south once more returning to The Haven for our overnight stop.
Day 6: Sunday – 22 May
- The Haven to Kob Inn leg of the tour
- This is another special day of big gravel passes through deep ravines and spectacular scenery.
- Passes include the Mbashe Pass and the Fyfe-King Bridge, Mnenu, Nqabarha, Shixini, Jujhura and Qhora passes, to arrive at Kob Inn, where you can enjoy sundowners at the closest pub to the sea on the Wild Coast.
Day 7: Monday – 23 May
- This is a rest day to do as you please and rest up properly for the long trip to Collywobbles the following day.
- Kob Inn has a lagoon, a beach, a pool, a fabulous pub – virtually ‘on the rocks’, and a full size snooker table.
- Available activities include walks around the Cwebe Nature Reserve, bird-watching, fishing, kayaking, horseriding and more. Wild Coast hospitality at its finest!
Day 8: Tuesday – 24 May
- A visit to Collywobbles Vulture Colony.
- Our biggest distance is covered on this day, so we start earlier than usual.
- We head directly to Idutywa via Willowvale (refueling point) and after a short leg on the N2, we turn back onto gravel for a bumpy ride to Collywobbles.
- The day includes a traverse down a very steep (secret!) pass where we take our lunch break on the banks of the Mbashe River. From there we drive to the Collywobbles Vulture Colony, the Mbashe dam, where we cross the actual dam wall and up the north-eastern side of the Mbashe Gorge and on past the now controversial Mveso (Nelson Mandela Museum) and back to the N2.
- We return to Kob Inn for dinner and our overnight stay.
Day 9: Wednesday – 25 May
- Kob Inn to Morgan Bay.
- Our route takes over the Qwaninga River, the KuLonyanga Pass, the 3 bridges over the Qhora River Pass, Cats Pass, Kobonqaba Pass, Centane and the Kei River Mouth where we cross the Great Kei River by pont, two vehicles at a time.
- After the river crossing, we have a short drive on tar to our final venue, which is the Morgan Bay Hotel. Dinner and the infamous ‘Chappies Awards’!
Thursday – 26 May: Departure after breakfast
Accommodation & other costs
***Accommodation, meals, and ancillary costs are extra, which we will invoice out to you separately.
• Work on R1350 per person per day sharing, for bed, breakfast & dinner. (We take care of all the bookings and planning, keeping you updated regularly via email and WhatsApp as the tour date approaches.)
• Pack your own ‘padkos’ for lunches, which we enjoy at whichever scenic spot takes our fancy along the route.
• Other costs are for your own account, including:
- The crossing via the pont at Kei Mouth (R100 per vehicle)
- Lunch at White Clay on Day 1
- Bar bills, and gratuities are at your discretion.
MPSA pays the external guides’ daily wage, parking/security fees, as well as entry costs into nature reserves.
Price: R14,750 per vehicle. Price includes:
- expert guiding
- 4×4 guidance
- VHF radio hire
- A detailed waterproof Slingsby Map, Route notes, folders, stationery, name tags, pack lists
- Use of supplied recovery gear
- Tyre compressors
- First aid
1. If you find a replacement to take your place – 100% refund.
2. If we find a replacement to take your place – 80% refund.
3. If you cancel your booking more than 2 months before the tour – 100% credit.
4. If you cancel your booking less than 60 days before the tour – 80% credit for a future tour.
5. We pay all the accommodation and meals upfront long before the tour starts. We will negotiate on your behalf with the hotel, guest lodge, or B&B for a refund. In general terms, most of them are willing to give a substantial or full refund. Whatever refund we can get will be refunded to you in full.
6. The accommodation/meals invoice is sent out many weeks ahead of the tour. If you cancel your booking, you are still liable for the accommodation, even if you have not paid the invoice yet.
7. In the event that a tour is postponed and you cannot attend on the revised dates, you will receive a 100% credit
Please get in touch with us directly with any questions you may have by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The MPSA Shop has a separate login system to the main MPSA website for members.
During your first purchase, your account will be auto-created, using the email address you supply at checkout.