This improved tour will start in Matatiele and end in Morgans Bay, exploring the vast, rugged beauty of the untouched, pristine Wild Coast which is still as magnificent as it was 70 years ago.
The routes we have chosen are generally not difficult, but if there is rainy weather, we will have mud to contend with – hence the 4×4 requirement. (Please note that no pets are allowed.)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Here are just some of the places we will be visiting
We will be spending 2 nights at most of the overnight stops, allowing for a leisurely pace, with opt-out options for the ladies at some of the venues – like spa treatments, or just a deliciously lazy day on the beach.
You pay per vehicle, and not per person – so this tour is ideal for families, a group of friends and couples.
- Distance: 1200 km.
- Drivers’ Briefing, VHF Radio Fitment & Welcoming Party: 18h00 on Thursday, 13th May 2021.
- Start: Matatiele – 09h00: 14th May, 2021
- Closing Function & Prize-giving: 18h00 22nd May, 2021
- End of Tour/Departure: 09h00 – 23rd May, 2021
All vehicles will be supplied with FM marine-quality two-way radios so we can all communicate. (This is included in the tour price.)
Day 1: Explore the Mountain Lake Nature Reserve and Mariazell Mission near Matatiele with local expert Philip Rawlins showing the way.
Day 2: We head south over the Nungi and Colona Nek passes via Tabankulu to drive the majestic Mzintlava Pass – 38 km of staggering variety with over 300 bends corners and curves. We drive through Lusikisiki and descend the Mbotyi Pass (very steep) to arrive at our home for the next two nights – Mbotyi River Lodge – a thatched paradise right on the beach.
Day 3: We take a 2 hour 4×4 route northwards to Lupathana, where we take a 8 km walk accompanied by an experienced local guide to see Waterfall Bluff (one of only two waterfalls in the world which plunge directly into the ocean) as well as the showstopper – Cathedral Rock. For the unfit, there are numerous other activities at the lodge keep you happy including a pool, the lagoon, the beach, walks, birding and fishing.
Day 4: The day of Waterfalls. We start with a visit to Fraser Falls, then higher up along the same river, we take in the enchanting Angel Fallls and we leave the best for last – the Magwa Falls, which will take your breath away. Getting to Magwa Falls takes us down beautiful roads lined by huge tress and hundreds of acres of tea plantations. We then head south on the new tarred R61 via 4 back to back passes including the Umzimvubu River Pass, where we arrive at the Gates of St. John and take a steep road up the old airport on top of the mountain and the Eagles Nest view Point. We return to PSJ via a circular route for our overnight stop at the Port St. Johns River Lodge.
Day 5: Our route follows four back to back tarred passes towards Libode. At the summit of the Tutor Ndamase Pass, we head away onto gravel along the Mlengana Pass to get a close up and personal perspective of the famous Execution Rock. We then take a jigsaw puzzle of gravel roads to arrive in Coffee Bay, where we will spend two days at the Ocean View Hotel – situated right on the beach with a lovely pool to relax at. Along this coastal stretch you will experience some very basic roads and scenery that will leave you feeling elated.
Day 6: We explore Mapuzi Caves (weather permitting), Coffee Bay, Baby Hole in the Wall, Hole in the Wall (the big one) with an expert local guide to show us all the secret spots and return to Coffee Bay via the White Clay Pub for a fabulous lunch in the best beach restaurant which epitomises the Wild Coast.
Day 7: We head south west along countless scenic roads, shipwrecks, deserted beaches, waterfalls and tribal villages to enjoy the natural and unspoilt beauty of Qora River mouth at Kob Inn.
Day 8: A circular route along the ridges and peaks of the Mbashe River gorge to enjoy the historical Collywobbles and a vulture roosting site, returning via Mveso (Mandela’s museum) to Kob Inn.
Day 9: Our final day routes along a number of gravel roads where we will visit Nonqwawuse’s Pools, more waterfalls and nature reserves, plus a drive over the Kei River via the pont to arrive at our final destinations – Morgans Bay Hotel, where we will reminisce on our adventure and enjoy our famous Chappies night..
Day 10: Farewells and for those with some spare time, a visit to the impressive motorcycle museum (optional) and a safe drive home
Accommodation, meals and ancillary costs are extra, which we will invoice out to you separately.
- Work on R950 per person, per day for accommodation, breakfast & dinner
- Pack your own ‘padkos’ for lunches, which we enjoy at whatever scenic spot takes our fancy along the route.
- Other costs include permit tariffs to enter some of the nature reserves, and the cost of crossing the pont at Kei Mouth, bar bills, tips for external guides, safe parking, etc. but these will not be of any significance.
Price: R12,500 per vehicle. (Price includes VHF radio hire, a detailed waterproof Slingsby Map, Route notes, folders, stationery, name tags, use of recovery gear, compressors and first aid)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
1. If you find a replacement to take your place – 100% refund.
2. If we find a replacement to take your place – 80% refund.
3. If you cancel your booking more than 2 months before the tour – 70% refund or 100% credit.
4. If you cancel your booking less than 60 days before the tour – No refund, but we will give you a credit for a future tour equal to 50%.
5. We pay all the accommodation and meals upfront long before the tour starts. We will negotiate on your behalf with the hotel, guest lodge or B&B for a refund. In general terms most of them are willing to give a substantial or full refund. Whatever refund we can get will be refunded to you in full.
6. The accommodation/meals invoice is sent out about many weeks ahead of the tour. If you cancel your booking, you are still liable for the accommodation, even if you have not paid the invoice yet.
7. In the event that a tour is postponed and you cannot attend on the revised dates, you will receive a 100% credit
Please get in touch with us directly with any questions you may have by email: email@example.com
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The MPSA Shop has a separate login system to the main MPSA website for members.
During your first purchase, your account will be auto-created, using the email address you supply at checkout.