This brand new tour will start in Swellendam and end in Van Wyksdorp, exploring the vast, rugged beauty of the Swartberg range – one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world.
The routes we have chosen are generally not difficult, but we can’t take off-road caravans or trailers on this tour. (Please note that no pets are allowed.)
You pay per vehicle, and not per person – so this tour is ideal for families, a group of friends and couples.
• Distance: 750 km.
• Drivers’ Briefing, VHF Radio Fitment & Welcoming Party: 18h00 on Monday, 19th October 2020 in Swellendam.
• Start: Swellendam – 09h00: Tuesday, 20th October, 2020
• Closing Function & Prize-giving: Rooiberg Lodge, 18h00 Saturday, 24th October, 2020
• End of Tour/Departure: 09h00 – Sunday, 25th October, 2020
All vehicles will be supplied with FM marine-quality two-way radios so we can all communicate. (This is included in the tour price.)
Monday 19th October: The group meets up at a guest house in Swellendam after 1600 where we fit your two way radio and magnetic aerial, deflate tyres for gravel travel and have our meet & greet session where the finer details of the tour will be explained, indemnity forms signed, distribution of personal folders with notes, convoy driving order sheets, name tags and maps as well as a Q&A session. We enjoy a hearty dinner and a good night’s rest in preparation for the next day.
Tuesday 20th October: 09h00 After breakfast we run a radio check to ensure everyone has comms and then we take to the road. Our route heads east past Buffelsjagsrivier and though the mission village of Suurbraak. Shortly after the village the tar gives way to gravel and we travel over a series of wonderfully scenic passes. The passes are marked (G) for gravel and (T) for tar:
Moodies Pass (G)
Boosmansbos Pass (G)
Doringkraal Pass (G)
Seekoeigat Pass (G)
Wadrift Pass (G)
Gysmanshoek Pass (G)
Ladismith (Refuelling point & rest rooms)
Hoekoe Valley / Stanley’s Light (G)
Visit the historic church at Zoar/Amalienstein
Seweweekspoort (G) with a lunch break at the lovely Tierkloof Dam
Bosluiskloof Pass (G)
Overnight at Bosch Luys Kloof Lodge. (Dinner, bed and breakfast)
Wednesday 21st October: After breakfast you are free to choose from a number of options for the day. We remain inside the reserve to enjoy all it has to offer.
4×4 Trail (which we will guide you over)
Drive down to the Gamkapoort Dam
Relax at your chalet
Swimming in the pool at the lodge
We will sleep at the lodge again this night and depart the next morning for the next leg of our journey
Thursday 22nd October: Depart 0830. Our routing will be:
Bosluiskloof Pass (G) (ascending)
Seweweekspoort (G) (descending)
Huisrivier Pass (T)
Calitzdorp (Rest rooms & Refuelling option for vehicles with short ranges)
Huis se Hoogte Pass (G)
Doringkloof Pass (G)
Rust en Vrede Pass (G)
De Rust (Possible refuelling point and rest rooms)
Meiringspoort (T) (Stop at waterfall)
Kleinvlei Pass (G)
Kredouw Pass (T)
Prince Albert – our overnight stop will be at the Swartberg Hotel which will be on a bed and breakfast basis
Friday 23rd October: Depart 0830. Routing for the day:
Swartberg Pass (G) Northern section ascending
Elands Pass (G) Descending
Die Hel – Light Lunch at Plaasfontein (Annatjie Joubert, the last remaining Klower)
Elands Pass (G) Ascending
Gamkaskloof (G) (Eastbound)
Swartberg Pass (G) Northern section descending
Prince Albert – our overnight stop will again be at the Swartberg Hotel (bed and breakfast basis)
Saturday 24th October:
Ascend the Swartberg Pass (G) for the second time for a group photo at the summit and descend the southern side.
Refreshment stop at Kobus se gat.
Rooiberg Pass (G) where we will each add a stone to the traditional traveller’s cairn at the summit
Assegaaibosch Pass (G)
Our final evening will be spent at the Rooiberg Lodge (Dinner, bed and breakfast)
Sunday 25th October:
After breakfast everyone will split up and head for home.
Our lunch breaks are held wherever we can find a nice spot to stop (usually somewhere scenic). Lunches are light and we suggest packing easy to travel foods like crackers, cheese wedges, dried and fresh fruit and a flask of tea or coffee in the car is great to have with on these tours.
We have a zero alcohol policy during the day whilst driving. No pets allowed.
The price of the tour at R7450 includes guiding, pamphlets, maps, name tags, radio hire, standard recovery costs, administration and documentation.
Recovery costs do not include mechanical breakdown, lowbed recovery but does include towing out of a difficult situation or kinetic recoveries, and assistance with punctures.
MPSA arranges every last detail. We send you a packing list of what you need well before the tour. All you have to do is arrive with your padkos and snacks and enjoy the tour. MPSA will invoice you for your accommodation/meals about 1 month ahead of the tour, so you only have one payment to make.
Accommodation, meals and ancillary costs are extra which we will invoice out to you separately.
• Work on R800 per person, per day for accommodation
• Some of the tariffs include dinner, bed and breakfast. Others only include breakfast
• On average, for the non-inclusive meals, work on R180 pp for dinners and R120 for full breakfasts
Price: R7490 per vehicle. (Price includes VHF radio hire)
1. If you find a replacement to take your place – 100% refund.
2. If we find a replacement to take your place – 80% refund.
3. If you cancel your booking more than 2 months before the tour – 70% refund.
4. If you cancel your booking less than 60 days before the tour – No refund, but we will give you a credit for a future tour equal to 50%.
5. We pay all the accommodation and meals upfront long before the tour starts. We will negotiate on your behalf with the hotel, guest lodge or B&B for a refund. In general terms most of them are willing to give a substantial or full refund. Whatever refund we can get will be refunded to you in full.
6. The accommodation/meals invoice is sent out about 4 weeks ahead of the tour. If you cancel your booking, you are still liable for the accommodation, even if you have not paid the invoice yet.
7. In the event that a tour is postponed and you cannot attend the revised dates, you will receive a 100% credit
Please get in touch with us directly with any questions you may have by email: email@example.com