This brand new tour will start in Waterval Boven and ends in Belfast, exploring the vast, rugged beauty of the lowveld and escarpment – one of the most scenic and richly forested parts of South Africa.
Travel through small towns that you normally just speed past or don’t know exist, like Waterval Boven, Sabie, Graskop, Lydenburg, Dullstroom and a few more. We will traverse some of the most interesting and scenic mountain passes in the Mpumalanga Lowveld and Panorama Escarpment.
We’ll stop en route for sightseeing, snacks, road stalls, photo’s, toilets, coffee/tea, tourist destinations and less familiar places. Enjoy the drive and ride in your own vehicle. At night and en route you’ll have the opportunity to mix, mingle and have fun.
What to expect:
An orderly and well planned tour with a minimum of twenty six (26) mountain passes (both tar & gravel) to be traversed, with a few surprises en route. Good food, a beautiful country, interesting roads and routes, small towns, cute shops and funky art places, friendly people and something new.
Mountain passes to be traversed: Crossroads, Wilgekraal, Chom se Hoogte, De Beers Nek, Patata Nek, Schoemanskloof, Wonderkloof, Houtbosloop, Sudwalaskraal, Sudwala, Hendriksdal, Koffiehoogte, Mac Mac, Burgers, Bonnet, Robbers, Caspersnek, Blyderivier Poort, Kowyns, Graskop Concrete Road (optional), Klipkraal, Bergvliet, Kiepersol, Bakenkop, Long Tom, Masjiennek & Santa.
Note: Any 4 x 2, 4 x 4 or SUV vehicle with good ground clearance will be suitable for these routes. All routes are non-technical and suitable for any driver. We cannot accommodate normal sedan vehicles.
(Please note that no pets are allowed.)
You pay per vehicle, and not per person – so this tour is ideal for families, a group of friends and couples. Max 4 persons per vehicle.
- Distance: 642 km.
- Drivers’ Briefing, VHF Radio Fitment & Welcoming Party: 18h00 on Monday, 26th October 2020 at the Shamrock Arms Guest Lodge in Waterval-Boven. (Arrive any time after 14h00.)
- Start: Waterval-Boven – 09h00: Tuesday, 27th October, 2020
- Closing Function & Prize-giving: Lydenburg (Venue to be announced), 18h00 Thursday, 29th October, 2020
- End of Tour: 15h00 – 30th October, 2020
All vehicles will be supplied with FM quality two-way radios so we can all communicate. (This is included in the tour price.)
Day # 1 – Monday – 26th Oct 2020 – Waterval Boven
14:00 Arrive and book in at Shamrock Arms Guest Lodge in Waterval Boven
Explore the town
18:00 Welcome, briefing & handing out of 2-way radio’s (Compulsory attendance)
19:00 Dinner (Optional)
Day # 2 – Tuesday – 27th Oct 2020 – Waterval Boven to Graskop 194 km (61 km on gravel)
After breakfast we depart on a feast of routes and mountain passes, ending the day on the Panorama Escarpment.
Today you’ll traverse 15 mountain passes, enjoy beautiful vistas, ride the back roads and have fun. Dinner is in Graskop.
Day # 3 – Wednesday – 28th Oct 2020 – Graskop Circular 190 km (42 km on gravel)
We depart after breakfast in a Westerly direction towards Pilgrims Rest, traversing at least 3 mountain passes before arriving at the Three Rondavels and then via God’s Window back to Graskop. A visit to the Graskop Lift today is a must.
Dinner and overnight in Graskop.
Day # 4 – Thursday – 29th Oct 2020 – Graskop to Lydenburg District 135 km (94 km on gravel)
We depart after breakfast (after booking out of the hotel) towards the Lydenburg region, but before that we’ll be traversing at least 6 mountain passes before arriving at out overnight destination in the mountains. If time permits there will be opportunity for adventurous fun!
Dinner with prizegiving and overnight in the mountains.
Day # 5 – Friday – 30th Oct 2020 – Lydenburg to Belfast 123 km
(0 km on gravel)
We depart after breakfast (after booking out of the hotel) in a South Easterly direction towards Dullstroom, traversing at least 3 mountain passes before arriving in Belfast, where the tour ends and ‘final words are spoken’.
We have a zero alcohol policy during the day whilst driving.
The price of the tour at R 4400 includes guiding, pamphlets, maps, name tags, limited recovery, radio hire and documentation.
Tour price excludes: Accommodation & meals on tour, fuel, Comprehensive Travel Insurance, gratuities, entry fees to venues or places, drinks, breakdown recovery costs and personal expenses.
Accommodation: We overnight in Waterval Boven, Graskop (2 nights) and near Lydenburg, including breakfast. Budget for about R550 pp/night. Single supplement will apply and it varies from venue to venue. These venues are all COVID-19 compliant.
You will be invoiced separately for your accommodation and certain meals.
MPSA/Platteland Tours arranges every last detail. We send you a packing list of what you need well before the tour. All you have to do is arrive with your padkos and snacks and enjoy the tour.
Price: R4 400 per vehicle. (Price includes VHF radio hire)
- If you find a replacement to take your place – 100% refund.
- If we find a replacement to take your place – 80% refund.
- If you cancel your booking more than 2 months before the tour – 70% refund.
- If you cancel your booking less than 60 days before the tour – No refund, but we will give you a credit for a future tour equal to 50%.
- We pay all the accommodation and meals upfront long before the tour starts. We will negotiate on your behalf with the hotel, guest lodge or B&B for a refund. In general terms most of them are willing to give a substantial or full refund. Whatever refund we can get will be refunded to you in full.
- The accommodation/meals invoice is sent out about 3 weeks ahead of the tour. If you cancel your booking, you are still liable for the accommodation, even if you have not paid the invoice yet.
- In the event that a tour is postponed and you cannot attend the revised dates, you will receive a 100% credit
Please get in touch with us directly with any questions you may have by email: