August 21st to 24th, 2021 (Original dates postponed due to Covid Lockdown)
R6495.00 per vehicle (regardless of the number of passengers)
This is our second version of this popular tour which involves a 300 km circumnavigation of the Suurberg Mountains, and includes some very technical passes like the Zuurberg Pass and the magnificent Bedrogfontein 4×4 route.
The tour includes parts of the Addo National Park so game viewing will be enjoyed, but the variety of scenery on this tour is breathtaking – from lush green citrus orchards to thickly wooded valleys to lofty peaks with forever views. The tour offers quality accommodation, great food and good company where you will start as strangers and leave as friends. The tour will be led by Trygve Roberts, the founder of Mountain Passes South Africa.
Please contact us for updated itinerary.
Saturday 24th July 2021: Meet between 1400 and 1700 at our guest lodge in the citrus farming town of Kirkwood for meet & greet, radio fitment, happy hour and drivers briefing followed by dinner.
Sunday 25th July 2021: 09h00 Tour starts with a traverse over the Olifantskop Pass, then the gravel fun starts as we loop westwards to drive the challenging Zuurberg Pass from north to south with a refreshment stop at the Zuurberg Mountain Inn. After lunch we tackle the Doringnek Pass and return to Kirkwood.
Monday 26th July 2021: A very popular part of this tour is spent within the Addo Elephant National Park with free driving included. Our crustal clear VHF radios with a long range will keep you in touch with the other vehicles in the convoy who will share the best game viewing spots, kills, etc with the group. We return to our guest lodge in Kirkwood for sundowners and dinner.
Tuesday 27th July 2021: We save the best for last as the Bedrogfontein 4×4 route will be driven. This is generally a Grade 1 to 2 drive (weather dependent) and will take the whole day to complete with a return leg to Kirkwood via the Darlington Dam and Paardepoort. Final night Chappies awards and celebrations.
Wednesday 28th July 2021: Depart for home after breakfast.
The tour has been designed to provide a perfect balance of exquisite mountain scenery, fascinating history and a traverse of two challenging mountain passes which will be remembered for the rest of your life. Our routes are always bespoke and you will be guaranteed the trip of a lifetime, packed with facts, folklore, history and engineering snippets – all of it done in a safe, responsible manner.
You pay per vehicle, and not per person, so the tours are ideal for families and couples.
• Distance: 300 km.
• Drivers briefing: 18h00 3rd July (Kirkwood)
• Start: Kirkwood – 09h00 4th July (Kirkwood)
All vehicles will be supplied with crystal clear FM marine quality two way radios so we can communicate with you. This is included in the price.
Vehicles that can participate:
• 4×4 with low range and adequate ground clearance is important. No low profile tyres please.
Maximum of 11 vehicles on this tour.
Cost of accommodation, meals, drinks for your own account. MPSA arranges all the accommodation and meals in advance and invoices you separately.
We take care of all the bookings. Work on R1000 per person per night for accommodation (breakfast and dinner included).
Other costs to budget for:
• Permit to traverse Bedrogfontein (R600 per vehicle);
• Conservation fees R77 per person (Free if you own a Wildcard);
• Day entry to Addo National Park
• Lunches, refreshments & padkos.
Itinerary and routing might be amended to suit weather conditions and the safety of the convoy.
Price: R6495 per vehicle. (Price includes VHF radio hire)
More information: info@MountainPassesSouthAfrica.co.za
If you want to review driving conditions for the two big gravel passes, here are the links to watch the videos on the MPSA web site:
- If you find a replacement to take your place – 100% refund.
- If we find a replacement to take your place – 80% refund.
- If you cancel your booking more than 2 months before the tour – 70% refund.
- If you cancel your booking within 60 days before the tour – No refund, but we will give you a credit for a future tour equal to 50%.
- We pay all the accommodation and meals upfront long before the tour starts. We will negotiate on your behalf with the hotel, guest lodge or B&B for a refund. In general terms, most of them are willing to give a substantial or full refund. Whatever refund we can negotiate, will be refunded to you in full.
- The accommodation/meals invoice is sent out well ahead of the tour. If you cancel your booking, you are still liable for the accommodation, even if you have not paid the invoice yet.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The MPSA Shop has a separate login system to the main MPSA website for members.
During your first purchase, your account will be auto-created, using the email address you supply at checkout.