R5965.00 per vehicle (regardless of the number of passengers)
Join us for a 3-day journey of adventure, discovery, history and pass-driving across Lesotho as we tour over some of the highest altitude passes in Africa (several top out well above 3000m ASL), and take you down the famous and much revered Sani Pass back into South Africa.
*Enjoy being in the safety of a group. *Make new friends. *Discover Lesotho. *Drive Sani Pass before it gets tarred.
We start in Ladybrand with a drivers briefing on the evening of Thursday 26th September 2019 and overnight in this lovely Free State town.
- Day 1: We depart early on Friday 27th September via the border control point into Lesotho. We will be driving the following passes: Lekhalo La Baroa (Bushman’s Pass); Lekhalo La Molimo Nthusi (God help Me Pass); Lakhalo La Thaba Putsoa (Blue Mountain Pass); Likalaneng Pass; Cheche’s Pass and the Mokoabong Pass (2884m). Distance 250 km of which 60 km is gravel. Overnight at the Katse Lodge.
- Day 2: Tour of the Katse Dam wall. Passes driven include Nkaobee Pass; Laitsoka Pass; Mafika Lisiu Pass (3096m); Moteng Pass Mahlasela Pass (3279m). Distance 225 km – mostly tar. Overnight at Afriski Resort.
- Day 3: Passes driven: Khalo La Lithunya 3246m (Pass of Guns); Tlaneeng Pass (3262m); Kotisephola Pass 3244m (Black Mountain Pass); Sani Pass (2876m). Distance 155km – all on tar except for Sani Pass which is (mercifully) still on gravel. Overnight at the Sani Pass Hotel. Tour ends after breakfast the following morning.
The tour starts on the 27th of September 2019, and ends the evening of the 29th of September 2019.
The tour has been designed to provide a perfect balance of exquisite mountain scenery, fascinating history and high altitude driving with a good possibility of some snow driving, coupled with a visit to the deepest dam in Africa.
We will spend a total of 4 nights at the various venues along the route and depart for home on the morning of the 30th September.
Our routes are always bespoke and you will be guaranteed the trip of a lifetime, packed with facts, folklore, history and engineering snippets – all of it done in a safe, responsible manner.
You pay per vehicle, and not per person, so the tours are ideal for families and couples.
- Distance: 630 km.
- Drivers briefing and welcoming party: 18h00 26th September (Ladybrand)
- Start: Ladybrand – 07h30 27st September
- Closing function and end of tour: 18h00 29th September (Sani Pass Hotel)
- Departure and end of tour: 09h30 30th September Sani Pass Hotel after breakfast.
All vehicles will be supplied with crystal clear FM marine quality two way radios so we can communicate with you.
Vehicles that can participate:
- 4×4 only. (This is a government requirement on Sani Pass)
Maximum of 10 vehicles on this tour.
Cost of accommodation, meals, drinks for your own account.
We take care of all the bookings. Work on R500 per person per night for accommodation. Dinners R170; Breakfasts R80. Prices are approximate.
Please check the list of Documents Required to enter Lesotho, on the AA website.
Price: R5965 per vehicle. (Price includes VHF radio hire)
More information: info@MountainPassesSouthAfrica.co.za
*This MPSA shop has a separate login system to that of the main MPSA website. It does not require creating a user account in advance. (and it does not require logging in, during your first purchase) During a first purchase, your account will be auto-created, using the email you supply at checkout.