R5495.00 per vehicle (regardless of the number of passengers)
This is our newest bespoke tour which involves a 300 km circumnavigation of the Suurberg Mountains, and includes some very technical passes like the Zuurberg Pass and the magnificent Bedrogfontein 4×4 route.
The tour includes parts of the Addo National Park so game viewing will be enjoyed, but the variety of scenery on this tour is breathtaking – from lush green citrus orchards to thickly wooded valleys to lofty peaks with forever views. The tour offers quality accommodation, great food and good company where you will start as strangers and leave as friends. The tour will be led by Trygve Roberts, the founder of Mountain Passes South Africa.
*Enjoy being in the safety of a group. *Make new friends. *Discover the Zuurberg.
• Day 1: The group will meet up at a guest lodge in the Wolwefontein area and enjoy a relaxed dinner and group briefing and a good night’s sleep on Thursday 21st November. We depart at 08h30 on Friday 22nd November and head north through a series of attractive poorts along the southern side of the Sunday’s River below the Darlington Dam where the Karoo splendour can be enjoyed. We will be following a number of back roads through a mountainous section before commencing the challenging, slow and long Zuurberg Pass. Not many people have driven the entire pass and it will take your breath away with its majestic scenery. We will be overnighting at a guest lodge at the summit of the Zuurberg Pass where good food awaits as the day’s adventures are recounted. Distance 200 km. Group dinner.
• Day 2: Departure time will be 08h00 Saturday 23rd November. We will drive south down the Doringnek Pass to the village of Addo, then head west to Kirkwood for refuelling before signing in at SAN Parks for the start of the Bedrogfontein Route. This is a grade 1 to 3 route and generally quite easy, but there are a few sections which require careful driving. The route offers jaw-dropping scenery, amazing variety, lots of animals and birdlife and of course some brutal history dating back to the Anglo Boer War. Distance: 100 km. Group dinner at a bush lodge where you will be pampered with good food and fine wine
• Day 3: 08h30 start. Enjoy a game drive at the lodge and spend the day at leisure. You can depart for home when it suits you or spend an extra night at the lodge and leave the next morning.
The tour has been designed to provide a perfect balance of exquisite mountain scenery, fascinating history and a traverse of two challenging mountain passes which will be remembered for the rest of your life. Our routes are always bespoke and you will be guaranteed the trip of a lifetime, packed with facts, folklore, history and engineering snippets – all of it done in a safe, responsible manner.
You pay per vehicle, and not per person, so the tours are ideal for families and couples.
• Distance: 300 km.
• Drivers briefing: 18h30 21st November (Wolwefontein)
• Start: Wolwefontein – 08h30 22nd November.
• End of tour – 08h30 24th November.
All vehicles will be supplied with crystal clear FM marine quality two way radios so we can communicate with you.
Vehicles that can participate:
• 4×4 with low range and adequate ground clearance is important.
Maximum of 10 vehicles on this tour.
Cost of accommodation, meals, drinks for your own account. MPSA arranges all the accommodation and meals in advance.
We take care of all the bookings. Work on R700 per person per night for accommodation. Dinners R200; Breakfasts R130. Prices are approximate.
Itinerary and routing might be amended to suit weather conditions and the safety of the convoy.
Price: R5495 per vehicle. (Price includes VHF radio hire)
More information: info@MountainPassesSouthAfrica.co.za
*This MPSA shop has a separate login system to that of the main MPSA website. It does not require creating a user account in advance. (and it does not require logging in, during your first purchase) During a first purchase, your account will be auto-created, using the email you supply at checkout.